About My Practice
Brooklyn Lawyer Focused on Straightforward Legal Representation
Family Law | Employment Law | Wills, Trusts & Estates | Immigration Law
At the Law Offices of Susan M. Smith, Esq., I work closely with clients throughout New York City. I have many years of experience handling cases related to divorce and family law, employment law, immigration law, and issues related to wills, trusts and estates. I provide clear legal advice to my clients and encourage my clients to take an active role in their legal matters.
Caribbean Practice Experience
I have been practicing law in the United States since 1998. Prior to that, I practiced law in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago from 1989 and I maintain my license to practice law in that country. I served as one of the General Counsel for a regional Caribbean bank and the Inter American Development Bank, respectively and I have a broad based litigation experience in Trinidad and Tobago both commercial and non commercial. My international experience and contacts allows me to assist my clients with their legal matters both here in New York and in the Caribbean.
An Understanding and Straightforward Lawyer
I enjoy working hard and providing quality service for my clients. This level of enthusiasm allows me to bring a invaluable qualities to my practice, including:
- Empathy and objectivity : When working with clients, I am caring and empathetic to their problems, while maintaining the ability to provide an objective evaluation of their case.
- Understanding : I take the time to listen to my clients and understand their unique situation. I know how important your situation is to you and I will ensure that I give you my full attention at all times and I will explain your rights to you in easy to understand terms.
- Accessibility : I am always accessible to my clients via email and telephone. I recognize the importance of keeping my clients informed of their matters and I return all client calls and emails promptly.
- Preparedness : a prepared attorney is a successful attorney. I invest many hours in careful, thorough preparation to ensure that I am equipped to handle my clients’ cases efficiently and successfully.
- Creative solutions : Clients need to have solutions they think will work. I am known for getting good results for my clients, and I collaborate with them to create creative, workable solutions.